Senior Of-Counsel | Litigation Department
Mr. Arturo Díaz-Angueira is a trial attorney and former Shareholder of the Firm, who currently is a Senior Of-Counsel in the Litigation Department. His practice has concentrated in complex litigation before local, state, and federal courts, at the first instance and appellate level, in the areas related to civil rights violations, products liability, constitutional, construction, distribution and sales representative contracts, all kinds of insurance matters, including coverage disputes, torts, malpractice, and criminal law, among others.
Also, Mr. Díaz-Angueira has successfully represented local, stateside, and international clients in multiple complex litigation cases involving class action suits, and civil rights claims, before state and federal courts.
Prior to joining the Firm in the fall of 1980, Mr. Díaz-Angueira had a fruitful career as a public servant, starting as an attorney in the Civil Litigation Department of the Department of Justice of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, where he was soon thereafter promoted to Assistant District Attorney in charge of the Federal Litigation Division. In 1977, Mr. Díaz-Angueira was appointed Assistant Federal Public Defender in the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and, two years later, was appointed United States Magistrate Judge, in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Catholic University of Puerto Rico, Ponce, PR, J.D. 1970
- University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, B.A. 1967
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Bar Association
- U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico Board of Bar Examiners 1982-1983
- Board of Directors, SER de Puerto Rico (An afíliate of the Easter Seals Society)
- English and Spanish
- García v. V. Suárez & Co., 288 F. Supp.2d 148 (D.P.R. 2003)
- Morales v. Nationwide Ins. Co., 237 F. Supp. 2d 147 (D.P.R. 2002)
- Baralat v. Nationwide Mut. Ins. Co., 183 F. Supp. 2d 486 (D.P.R. 2002)
- Efron v. Embassy Suites (Puerto Rico), Inc., 46 F. Supp. 2d 200 (D.P.R. 1999),
- Velázquez Casillas v. Forest Lab., Inc., 90 F. Supp. 2d 161 (D.P.R. 2000)
- E & E Inv. v. Simmons Co., 169 F.R.D. 467 (D.P.R. 1996).
- Haskin v. Corporación Insular de Seguros, 666 F. Supp. 349 (D.P.R. 1987).
- Serrano García v. Cecos International, Inc., 761 F.2d 76 (1st Cir. 1985).
- Colón Vélez v. Santiago de Hernández, 440 F.Supp. 432 (D.P.R. 1977).