Shareholder | Litigation Department
Mr. Carlos M. Rivera-Vicente is a founding member and Shareholder of the Firm, and also a member of its Litigation Department. He is responsible for overseeing all local civil litigation. His practice is focused on complex litigation in the areas of: personal injury, product liability, banking, torts, contract disputes, civil RICO actions, and insurance coverage matters.
Mr. Rivera-Vicente has successfully represented local and stateside companies in a myriad of complex civil, contractual and commercial litigation before state and federal courts. In addition, he has handled complex contractual disputes between health insurers and health care services providers concerning participation in the Puerto Rico governmental health insurance program (Puerto Rico Law 72 of September 7, 1993).
Also, Mr. Rivera-Vicente has represented both borrowers and lenders, in multiple lender liability claims, and has prepared and conducted seminars on said topic to employees, officials, and directors of major financial institutions in the Island. Additionally, he has valuable experience representing lenders in construction loan work outs and friendly foreclosure proceedings.
Mr. Rivera-Vicente has also accumulated significant experience in matters related to commercial trade, representing clients in multiple claims regarding exclusive distributorship rights, violations of anti-trust laws, and trademark acquisitions, with favorable results.
Since 2003, Mr. Rivera-Vicente serves as legal counsel to the Board of Directors of the Food Industry Marketing and Distribution Association (“MIDA” by its Spanish acronym), actively participating in their monthly meetings, and providing keen advice in multiple legal issues that daily affect their membership such as local, state, and federal legislation, rules and regulations, antitrust, and interstate commerce, among other.
- Catholic University of Puerto Rico, Ponce, PR, J.D. 1973
- University of Puerto Rico, Rio Píedras Campus, B.B.A., Cum Laude, 1970
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Board of Directors, American Arbitration Association
- Board of Directors, MIDA
- Board of Directors, Fundación Haiti Se Pone de Pie
- English and Spanish
- P.R.T.C. v. Rivera Marrero, 114 D.P.R. 360 (1983)
- Cerveceria Corona, Inc. v. Commonwealth Ins. Co., 115 D.P.R. 345 (1984)
- Cotto Guadalupe v. Consolidated Mutual Insurance Co., 116 D.P.R. 644 (1985)
- Calderón, Rosa-Silva y Vargas v. Comisionado de Seguros de Puerto Rico, 120 D.P.R. 803 (1988)
- Pueblo Intl. v. Rivera Cruz, 122 D.P.R. 703 (1988)