Non-Equity Partner | Litigation Department
Ms. Maraliz Vázquez-Marrero is a trial attorney and litigation associate in the firm’s Litigation Department. Ms. Vázquez practice is focused on constitutional, civil rights, tort litigation and complex civil litigation before the federal and state courts. Ms. Vázquez has successfully litigated cases ranging from labor laws, admiralty, civil rights, medical malpractice, commerce clause, corporate shares disputes and breach of contract cases. Her experience includes both bench and jury trials before the federal and state forums.
Before joining the Firm in 2015, Ms. Vázquez had a rewarding career as a public servant having served as a Special Assistant United States Attorney for the United States Attorney’s Office in Puerto Rico (2015) and as a federal litigation attorney for the Federal Litigation Division of the Commonwealth’s Department of Justice (2007-2015). There she enhanced her litigation skills in state, federal and bankruptcy cases. In the private practice, Ms. Vázquez had the opportunity to successfully represent a health care industry firm in corporate shares disputes and also assisted in workmen compensation claims before the State Insurance Fund and Industrial Commission. In 2014, Ms. Vázquez was the recipient of the “Reconocimiento a la Excelencia Premio Juan B. Fernández-Badillo” from the Commonwealth’s Department of Justice in recognition for her work.
- University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus (B.S., 2003)
- Penn State University (Summer Exchange Program 2002)
- University of Puerto Rico, School of Law, Rio Píedras (J.D., 2006 Cum Laude)
- University of Chile (Student Exchange Program 2005)
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court, District of Puerto Rico (2008)
- Illinois Bar (2013)
- Rodríguez v. Vila, 565 F. Supp. 2d 328 (D.P.R. 2008); Advanced Cardiology Center Corp. v. Rodriguez, 675 F.Supp.2d 245 (2009); Febus-Cruz v. Sauri-Santiago, 652 F. Supp. 2d 157 (D.P.R. 2009); Aguiar-Serrano v. Puerto Rico Highways and Transp. Authority, 916 F.Supp.2d 223 (2013); Aponte-Hernández v. Cruz-Velez, 335 Fed.Appx. 68 (2009); Redondo Construction v. Izquierdo, 929 F. Supp. 2d 1 (D.P.R. 2012); Asociación De Detallistas De Gasolina De P.R., Inc. v. Puerto Rico, 18 F. Supp. 3d 99 (D.P.R. 2014); Cámara de Mercadeo, Industria, y Distribución de Alimentos v. Vázquez, 2013 WL 5652076; Carrillo v. Román-Hernández, 2013 WL 4736733 (2013); Cruz v. Puerto Rico Power Authority, 878 F.Supp.2d 316 (2012); De La Cruz v. Colón-Rondon, 952 F.Supp.2d 385 (2013); De La Cruz v. Irizarry, 946 F. Supp. 2d 244 (D.P.R. 2013); Williams v. Puerto Rico, 910 F.Supp.2d 386 (2012); Molina v. Vidal-Olivo, 961 F. Supp. 2d 382 (D.P.R. 2013); Davila-Torres v. Feliciano-Torres, 924 F. Supp. 2d 359 (D.P.R. 2013); Franklin Cal. Tax-Free Trust/Blue Mountain Capital Management v. Puerto Rico, 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 14855 (D.P.R. 2015).
- Both written and spoken (Spanish and English)