Shareholder | Educational Law & General Civil Practice Department
Mr. Pedro I. Torres-Amador is a general civil attorney who is a Shareholder with the Firm’s Educational Law & General Civil Practice Department. His practice is focused on Educational, Health, Contract, Bankruptcy, and Cooperatives law, as well as general civil litigations.
Mr. Torres-Amador has close to 30 years of experience representing clients, in the private and public sector, in all matters related to educational law, including, but not limited to, contractual negotiations and disputes, and general civil litigation before the state and federal courts. He has also vast experience in all matters concerning health law, representing and counseling local hospitals in most legal issues affecting hospital operations, compliance with both state and federal regulations, personnel and employment matters, and general corporate governance.
Recently, Mr. Torres-Amador has represented financial institutions in issues related to bankruptcy and collections of secured and unsecured debt before the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico, responsible for monitoring bankruptcy proceedings, attending creditors meetings, drafting and filing of lift of stay and dismissal motions, and other related litigation.
Prior to joining the Firm in 1982, Mr. Torres-Amador began his career as an attorney for the Commonwealth’s Department of Environment and Natural Resources, and thereafter joined the Division of Legal Affairs of the Commonwealth’s Treasury Department.
Mr. Torres-Amador was a professor of Health Law at the University of Puerto Rico, Graduate School of Public Health, Medical Science Campus from 1998-1999.
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR, J.D., Cum Laude, 1979
- University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, B.A., Cum Laude, 1976
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American Academy of Hospital Attorneys
- Puerto Rico Hospital Association
- Asociación de Directores Médicos de Puerto Rico
- English and Spanish