Mr. Rafael A. Nadal-Arcelay is a general civil attorney, who is Director of the Educational Law & General Civil Practice Department, and a Shareholder of the Firm. Currently he is a member of the Firm’s Senior Leadership Committee, Strategic Planning Committee, and the Talent Development Committee. He has been with the Firm since 1983.
With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Nadal-Arcelay has counseled clients in constitutional, labor, administrative and corporate matters. In addition, he has significant experience in labor relations, unions, collective bargaining, negotiating and executing complex agreements, and general civil litigation before state governmental entities and courts, representing both plaintiff and defendants.
Furthermore, Mr. Nadal-Arcelay has garnered extensive experience in the area of educational law, representing major private and public local universities. He also has experience in the procurement of federal educational grants for clients, with favorable results.
Mr. Nadal-Arcelay is the co-author of Provisional Remedies in International Commercial Arbitration, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin-New York, 1994, and a Legal News Anchor for Channel 40/26 WMJT. He also is a permanent member of the Board of Directors of the Ana G. Méndez University System, a private educational entity which manages and oversees several universities in the Island.
- Catholic University of Puerto Rico, Ponce, PR, LL.M. Civil Law, 1986
- Interamerican University School of Law, San Juan, PR, J.D. 1983
- Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, Metro Campus, B.A. 1979
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Puerto Rico Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- American and Interamerican Federation of Lawyers
- English and Spanish
- Enrique Díaz Maldonado v. Dra. Maria Socorro Lacot, 123 D.P.R. 261 (1989).
- Héctor Berberena v. Ileana Echegoyen, 128 D.P.R. 864 (1991).
- Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico v. José Arsenio Torres, 137 D.P.R. 528 (1994).
- Domingo Domínguez v. E.L.A. (Commonwealth of Puerto Rico), 137 D.P.R. 954 (1995).
- Elizabeth Suárez Ruiz v. Aníbal Figueroa Colón, 145 D.P.R. 142 (1998).
- Ana Martínez Conde v. Departamento de Educación, 148 D.P.R. 648 (1999).
- Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico v. Secretario del Departamento de Educación, 156 D.P.R. 754 (2002).
- Mario Pérez Santos v. Comisión de Relaciones del Trabajo del Servicio Público, 158 D.P.R. 180 (2002).
- Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico v. Comisión de Relaciones del Trabajo del Servicio Público, 159 D.P.R. 81 (2003).
- FMPR v. María M. Molina Torres, 160 D.P.R. 71 (2003).
- Departamento de Educación v. Sindicato Puertorriqueño de Maestros, 168 D.P.R. 527 (2006).
- Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico v. Departamento de Educación, 171 D.P.R. 640 (2007).
- Lydia Matías Lebrón v. Departamento de Educación, 172 D.P.R. 859 (2007).
- Asociación de Maestros de Puerto Rico v. Hon. César Rey Hernández, 178 D.P.R. 253 (2010)